Watermelon is the perfect healthy kids food for summer! It makes a great snack, side dish and even dessert! If you’re looking for some ways to jazz up your watermelon this year, we have two ideas!
The first are Watermelon Fireworks thanks to our sister site, South OC Moms Network! Check out the recipe, below!
- Star shaped cookie cuter
- 4 in wooden sticks
- Mini marshmallows
- Slice the watermelon into large rounds.
- Place each round on the counter and cut out your star shapes with your star shaped cookie cuter
- Take your sticks and place the mini marshmallow on top and then slide 3 blue berries from the bottom of the stick
- Place each stick in the corners of the stars.
- Eat immediately or refrigerate to each later! Enjoy!
The second option is Chocolate Dipped Watermelon thanks to The Local Moms Network contributor, Maria Provenzano, Lifestyle + DIY Expert of Hallmark’s Home and Family and founder of From Scratch with Maria Provenzano.
- 8 slices of watermelon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- toppings like sprinkles, nuts, watermelon seeds, etc.
- ***If you want to make more than 8 slices, then make an entirely new mixture of chocolate for more slices. The chocolate will start to clump up once you get to the end of the dipping***
- Cut 8 triangle slices of watermelon, if you want them to stand up, make sure to cut the bottom of the piece as well
- Place in the fridge or freezer so that the pieces are very cold
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl and place over a small pan that has simmering water, making sure that the water isn’t touching the bowl, this will gently melt the chocolate, continually stir until melted and turn off heat
- Use a spoon or spatula to pour the chocolate over the watermelon, you can dip them, but it may make the chocolate seize up
- Once you pour the chocolate over the watermelon sprinkle over the toppings the you like
- Place in the fridge to harden up! If laying flat, place on a sheet covered with wax paper, then place in the fridge
*If you want the watermelon to stand up, make sure to cut the bottom of the triangle to make it flat.
*Place the watermelon in the fridge or freezer before dipping to make sure it is very cold before coating it with chocolate.
*It helps to use a spatula pour the chocolate over the watermelon. This will help to prevent the chocolate from seizing up. If too much of the juice from the watermelon gets in the chocolate, then it will make the chocolate clumpy.
*Add the toppings into the chocolate covered watermelon right after you pour the chocolate onto the watermelon.
*Place the watermelon back into the fridge to harden up! If you don’t want the watermelon to stand, then you can place it on a sheet lined with waxed paper.