Looking for a warm, family friendly meal? Look no further. Lots of protein and no meat/dairy to boot! Enjoy this simple three bean chili recipe with a unique twist.
3 Bean Chili with Pesto (vegan)
1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
kosher salt and black pepper
(1) 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
(1) 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
(1) 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons pine nuts, chopped
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
crusty bread (if desired)
1) Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
2) Stir in the tomatoes including liquid, 2 cups water, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
3) Add the chickpeas, cannellini, and kidney beans and cook until heated through (roughly 3 minutes).
4) Combine the garlic, pine nuts, parsley, remaining oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper in a smaller bowl.
5) Divide the chili in bowls and top with the pesto. Serve with crusty bread.
Original recipe: www.foodnetwork.com